Monday, September 10, 2012

MARVELOUS VINCHU KATA! [Lohgad]

My lovliest and Deares... Long awaited .. unvisited Vinchu Kata...
Yes.. what is so great about Lohgad??? Well leave aside the history associated with it... but in its construction... the greatest thing Maharaj built is the 'Vinchu Kata'!!!
Have you been there? Do you even know it exists? NO??? THen you have really missed something in life.. only if you are a nature lover.

Actually Lohgad was my 1st ever trek. In the year 2005, my 1st job @ Hewitt Associates, in monsoon they took us out for a trek. I didnt know what trekking is, nor about these Sahayadri forts. I just followed the crowd and went on the Lohgad trek. That time that year that day, it was tooo rainy and foggy and we could hardly see anything on the fort. It was after we returned back I heard from some ppl that few of them made it to Vinchu kata. After that I forgot about it.

Then later as I matured as trekker and discovered my interesting and inclinations, I understood what exactly Lohgad offers to trekkers and nature lovers like me. Thats when I realized what I had missed when I had been to Lohgad and not been to Vinchu Kata. Since then, Lohgad was again into my list... rather Vinchu Kata was on my list.

Fortunately, this year, I got that opportunity. My new project members wanted to trek. All of them were non-trekkers and Lohgad was obvious choice as its an easy trek. I was more than keen to go there. I took all of them in my car. I drove to and fro.

When I agreed and made the plan, I had a selfish motive of visiting Vinchu Kata :) So my concern was that, it shouldnt be as foggy that I wouldnt be able to goto Vinchu Kata again. Then my trip would go waste.
I prayed to God that let it not be foggy and let me be able to goto Vinchu kata. [How funny na. I trouble God for such silly things]
Previous night I did through googling for route and info and layout of Lohgad. And below is what I stored and studied.
1st of all I took a view of Vinchu kata, so that I estimate the Risk in rains n fog.

Then I found this pic which gave me where exactly I shud head for Vinchu Kata once on the top of Lohgad

Then this pic gave me complete location and surrounding info and much more. We can see

And this one gave me the real arial view of Lohgad. That tail on the top is the Vinchu kata.

So, after the above study, and also study of route map, I was prepared for Lohgad trip. Next day morning my colleagues came to my home by 6.30am and we started by 7am. We reached Lonavla exit @ Manna Shakti Kendra by 8.30am. There we did breakfast. From here there are 2 ways to reach Lohgad.

One way will go from inside of Lonavala and take you direct to the Base of Lohgad in Lohgad wadi. This is a long route and when u google in google maps, this is the route which it shows. From here you only need to climb up the fort steps.

Other is the route which goes from Baje Village. You get to see Baje caves as well. Its a longer trek, but fine. Meaning After you take Lonavla exit from Mumbai Pune expressway, and reach Manashakti on NH4, then drive towards Pune and soon within 5-7mins drive you see the Karla caves left turn, there take the opposite right turn which goes to Malavli Village, from here inside little more drive for 10mins and u reach Baje Village. There is proper Parking space.

From here we started to trek and it was a long walk/ so called trek to Logadwadi. We started from Baje village at 9.30am and reached Lohagad wadi at 11am. So it took us 1.5hrs. This trek is actually easy, just a mere walk on road. But, to give my new non-trekking members a taste of trek, I took them off track route. For atleast half an hr, I made them trek :) All of them were panting :) I am sure they must have cursed me in their minds for several times.

I had had a detailed discussion with Amol the previous night. On hows and whats of the entire Lohgad trek. Took complete tips from him. So as he had mentioned, Visapur and Lohgad are neighbours. When we start trekking from Baje Village, we 1st get the view of Visapur. And I did see it. I saw the fortification of Visapur 1st. Then towards the right I saw another hill with its tapering ridge. I understood that I was Lohgad and  I was looking at my most awaited point - Vinchu Kata...

For my good fortune, the day was totally sunny and hot. I actually got tanned. But I was more than happy, as it was going to enable me to reach Vinchu kata w/o difficulties.

So forget about the complete trek, we reach Lohgad wadi at 11. And as we started climbing the fort, to my real good fortune, the skies were so clear, that all surrounding peaks were crystal clear. I was undoubtfully able to spot Tikona and Tung, where I had been just the previous weekend. :) I couldnt control my happiness and excitement. But no one to share and empathize. I immediately sms Amol abt it. He was equally happy. He called up and we spoke. I share with him my happiness and surrounding views.
View from Lohgad: Tikona in the left, Tung in right and Pawna dam waters in middle



I learnt in my google search that there are 4 darwajas/gates that I was going to come across while we climb Lohgad viz. [I may not be correct with the names]
  1. Hanuman
  2. Narayan
  3. Ganesh
  4. Maha
 So finally we reached the top by 12pm. From there I immediately headed towards Vinchu kata. These ppl were totally tired and they didnt wanted to come. I didnt allow them to do so. I said u will miss something for ur life. Coming till here, that too in such clear weather and not seeing Vinchu Kata is a crime. I inspired them enuf to come with me. We finally reached a point from where we started getting a glimpse of Vinchu kata tip. As we header ahead, we could see the complete Vinchu Kata, yet far enuf.
Me n Vinchu Kata in background
At this point though it looks near, its still far enuf. Its so Vishal, just like Moon. Like we see Moon from earth. Here one of my colleagues gave up. He said he is not coming ahead. It was not a big deal actually. It had been an easy trek, but as they all were 1st time trekkers their stamina had gone for a toss. So I allowed him to stay back and rest 4 of us proceeded ahead. 
As we went ahead, we reach  a point, from where it was a total end of way. Vinchu Kata was down, and this point at a height. From here you either descend rock with skills or else there is another way. From this point I saw that alternate way. I could have done rocky descend if I was with my Deccan Hikers group. But with these ppl I didnt wanted to try a stunt. Also here the remaining 3 with me also gave up. They didnt wanted to come ahead. 
Looking at this pic, it may look like a straight walk till the tip, but its like a tip of ice berg :) Mind my words!
I was in a dilemma. I was the only one who wanted to go there. There! the Tip of Vinchu Kata... what do I do! I didnt wanted to return w/o being there. I would repent and curse my self for doing so. I missed my Deccan Hikers a lot at this point.
OK I made my mind. I saw one couple is taking that alternate route towards the tip, and I decided that I must go. I told my colleagues to wait at that point and I will go and come back. I started. I went back from that point, and then descended down. This alternate route though not as difficult as that rock climbing wala route, its riskier and challenging enuf.
The steep alternate route's descend to Vinchu Kata. [This pic I had taken while returning back from Vinchu kata]

 Finally I reached down on the trunk of Vinchu kata. I saw my colleagues up at that point. I took one pic from here. Below it is.
There on the top of the rocks u can see them sitting, and this is the rocky patch that u might want to avoid.
When I reached here, suddenly the weather changed. And clouds took over. Its started drizzling. and monkeys started troubling my colleagues. So they said that they cannot wait there. They would go back to some shade. I was a little worried about my self, but I said fine. I asked them to go and take shelter. 
Again I was in double mind, should I proceed ahead! Well yes, It was not that risky, I had that couple ahead of me. So I told them that I will proceed to the tip, and they can proceed back, I will catch them somewhere on the fort. 
When I turned behind, I saw that the couple had went far ahead. I ran. I didnt wanted to be alone, yet explore the thrill of Vinchu Kata :)
From here its a easy walk. Vinchu kata was full of greenary and now it was windy airy coudy and chilled. Finally we reached the tip and we saw there were more ppl and gals as well. I was relieved interms of security and safety. 
Then I took some pics. Absorbed the moment and views from there.
At the Tip of Vinchu Kata!!!! :)
The tapering end of Vinchu Kata
View from Vinchu Kata
 After being there, I asked that couple when they would be retuning and waited for them. They clicked some of my pics :) And with them I started my return.






While returning one group of boys opted to do rock climbing and go up. I was SOOOOOO tempted to do that. But I was alone. So there was no point in taking that risk. Wish I with my DH group. It was doable, but not when alone.
That rocky patch
 So, I again took that alternate comparatively easier way and went back. I was also panting this time. Controlling my breadth and hungry. I came up and was totally thankful to God for ensuring my safety and having getting all condition favorable for my Vinchu Kata trip.
And this the Pic not from google, but taken by me, as is what I saw. :) MARVELOUS VINCHU KATA!
Had I been with my DH group, we would have sat there for hours and not moved at all. :) Wish that again. 

After I return back, I met my colleagues and in some time we started our descend. On our way back when we saw up, Lohgad and Vinchu kata was not visible. It was totally taken over by clouds. It was 2.40pm in my watch. Thankfully Coulds waited for me to complete my visit to Vinchu Kata :) I must say that.
Lohgad taken over by Clouds
Anyways, though I didnt mention but there are many other things on Lohgad, like the masjhid, the Shiv temple, the water tanks etc... which we did visit. But you know for what I had gone for! :)

Thanks to God. I wish I had asked for something more that day, if I had knew he was listening! :)

10 comments:

  1. Hi Alps, it was really good piece of info n snaps.
    It ll help us built a fort prototype for this diwali :-)
    Keep updating the blog with ur treks, its inspirational (Y)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey ... very well written and nice pics too !

    - Cheers, Nilesh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am planing to visit Lohgadh next week and just like u vinchukata is at top most priority, ur writing gave amazing insight to reach vinchu kata and i will surely visit it just as unhave mentioned. Thanks for so precise writing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice trip. Thanks for sharing your trip experience. Enveloped in a rich historical past, the fort was said to be used by Chatrapati Shivaji and other dynasties which ruled Maratha and Vidharbha kingdoms. The walk to the fort takes about 1.5 hours. If you want to avoid climbing the steps, you can also take an alternate route with clearly defined paths. Check out all best places to visit near Pune also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for updating. But I'll suggest you to focus more Literature and Content writing. You did a lot of grammatical errors in your piece. Nice snaps though! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for updating. But I'll suggest you to focus more Literature and Content writing. You did a lot of grammatical errors in your piece. Nice snaps though! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete